Whaea Rae comes into our space for half an hour to do kapa haka with our tamariki every Wednesday.It is a time our children look forward to – they LOVE kapa haka!!!!
Having kapa haka as a regular weekly event has shown us the benefits it has on all our tamariki and in particularly our Māori ākonga.
- It increases knowledge of our Māori language, culture and heritage.
- It improves confidence and self esteem
- It enhances motivation for learning
- Nurtures our Māori children's identity
- Installs pride in being Māori
- It promotes memorisation and coordination
- Kapa haka provides a learning environment that celebrates Māori culture and what it means to be Māori- something that is handed down inter-generationally – to be valued and treasured
- It embeds Māori values like tuakana/teinā relationships, manākitanga (taking care of each other)
- It exposes our tamariki to leadership opportunities and role-modelling